Port Hope Area Initiative
The historic low-level radioactive waste stored in the municipalities of Port Hope and Clarington originates from the radium and uranium refining and processing operations carried out from the 1930s to the 1980s by Eldorado Nuclear Limited, a former Crown corporation. The Port Hope Area Initiative (PHAI) represents a commitment by the Government of Canada to respond to the community-recommended solutions to this long-standing environmental problem. The two remediation projects that are part of the PHAI are the Port Hope Project and the Port Granby Project. Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) is implementing the PHAI on behalf of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited. The CNSC has regulatory oversight, and it has approved both clean-up projects.
Location: The projects are located in the towns of Port Hope and Port Granby, Ontario, about 100 kilometres east of Toronto, on the shores of Lake Ontario
Licensee: Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL)
Status: Waste nuclear substance licence
Licence expires: December 31, 2022
Focus on safety and the environment
The CNSC is committed to protecting the safety of people and the environment. Click below for current environmental and safety performance data for the PHAI.
Latest facility-specific updates
- February 1, 2021: Notice of hearing in writing and participant funding regarding Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ request for a short-term licence renewal for its Port Granby Project
- April 5, 2019: Decision on the application by Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Ltd. for the amendment of the Port Granby Long-Term Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management Project Licence
- February 15, 2019: CNL is now offering access to municipal radiological survey results upon request.
- June 29, 2018: CNSC releases 2017 Independent Environmental Monitoring Program results for the Port Hope and Port Granby Projects. Results confirm that the public and the environment around this site are protected.
- November 29, 2017: Commission amends Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ waste nuclear substance licence for the Port Hope Long-Term Waste Management Facility
Public information program
CNL has committed to maintaining a public information program for ongoing and timely communications about the activities of the PHAI. Visit the PHAI website for more information. CNL also offers access to municipal radiological survey results upon request.
- Date modified: