Nuclear facility – McArthur River Operation
Cameco owns and is licensed to operate the McArthur River Operation, located in northern Saskatchewan. The CNSC has full-time staff in Saskatoon and Ottawa who periodically perform inspections to evaluate operations and to verify compliance with regulatory requirements and licence conditions.
|Licence issued:||November 1, 2013|
|Licence expires:||October 31, 2023|
|Start of operation:||1999|
|Licensing documentation:||Request a copy of the McArthur River Operation licence and licence conditions handbook at firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Facility website:||McArthur River|
The Commission is an independent administrative tribunal set up at arm's length from government, without ties to the nuclear industry. Use the links below to find documents related to Commission meetings or hearings.
- June 7–8, 2023: Notice of Public Hearing and Participant Funding - Cameco Corporation - Applications for the renewal of the licences for Key Lake and McArthur River Operations
The CNSC posts regulatory enforcement actions taken to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment. Use the links below to find out more about any orders or penalties that have been placed on this licensee.
- No recent regulatory actions
Licensees must report events and incidents involving licensed activities that could impact the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment to the CNSC. Use the links below to find any information provided by this licensee, as well as other public disclosures made by licensees.
- Cameco's disclosure protocol
- Cameco’s McArthur River Facility latest news
- Regulatory oversight report for uranium mines and mills in Canada
Protecting Canadians and the environment
The CNSC uses information provided by licensees to create our own reports assessing the environmental effects of nuclear facilities or licensed activities.
- Environmental monitoring: Independent environmental monitoring results collected by the CNSC 2021 Independent Environmental Monitoring Program for McArthur Operation
- Environmental risk assessment: Email email@example.com to request a copy
- Cameco’s environmental monitoring
- Cameco’s McArthur River environmental risk assessment
- Cameco’s environmental management program: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy
- Federal, provincial and municipal monitoring programs: List of monitoring programs managed by other levels of government
Radionuclide releases: Uranium mines and mills dataset in the Open Government catalogue for information on releases from this facility
Health and safety
The CNSC oversees licensee emergency planning and works with other levels of government to ensure the health and safety of Canadians. We also conduct and review health studies on various areas associated with the production, possession or use of nuclear substances.
- CNSC health studies on Canadian nuclear facilities: Relevant health studies of nuclear reactors regulated by the CNSC
- Cameco radiation protection program (External PDF, 1 MB)
- Date modified: