Key Lake Mill
Cameco owns and is licensed to operate the Key Lake Mill site, located in northern Saskatchewan. The CNSC has full-time staff in Saskatoon and Ottawa who perform regular inspections to evaluate operations and to verify compliance with regulatory requirements and licence conditions.
Location: Northern Saskatchewan
Licensee: Cameco Corporation
Licence issued: November 1, 2013
Licence expires: October 31, 2023
Start of commercial operation: 1983
The Key Lake site included two ore bodies, Gaertner and Deilmann, discovered in 1975 and 1976. Mining was conducted between 1983 and 1997. Milling began in 1983 and continues today. Since 1999, uranium ore is transported from the McArthur River Mine to Key Lake for milling. The mill is located approximately 570 kilometres north of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. For more information, visit Cameco's website.
Focus on safety and the environment
The CNSC is committed to protecting the safety of people and the environment. Click below for current environmental and safety performance data for Cameco’s Key Lake Mine
Operating Performance of the Key Lake Mill
The CNSC produces an annual report on the performance of uranium fuel cycle and processing facilities, which includes the Key Lake Mill. The report provides information on events, facility modifications, and areas of increased regulatory focus. It also tracks data on:
- public and worker radiation dose
- lost-time incidents for workers
- environmental monitoring results
- environmental reportable spills and corrective actions taken
- current financial guarantees for future decommissioning costs
Read the report to learn about the Key Lake Mill's operation performance.
- September 4, 2020: Decision on the application from Cameco Corporation for acceptance of a revised financial guarantee and licence amendment for the Key Lake Operation (PDF, 9 pages, 166 KB)
As part of CNSC's regulatory requirements, major licensees must have robust public information and disclosure programs in place. These programs include a disclosure protocol developed in consultation with community stakeholders.
- Regulatory Oversight Report for Uranium Mines and Mills in Canada
- Regulatory actions
- Event Reports for Major Nuclear Facilities
Other Key Topics
- Date modified: