CNSC Participant Funding Program Decision - Regulatory Oversight Report on the Use of Nuclear Substances in Canada: 2018
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) announced on April 10, 2019 that it was offering $25,000 under its Participant Funding Program (PFP) to assist Indigenous peoples, members of the public, and stakeholders to participate in reviewing CNSC staff’s Regulatory Oversight Report on the Use of Nuclear Substances in Canada: 2018 (2018 DNSR Report), and submitting written comments to the Commission. In addition, the CNSC offered Indigenous intervenors the opportunity to make oral presentations in the spirit of reconciliation and in recognition of the Indigenous oral tradition of sharing knowledge.
Participant funding was made available by the CNSC:
- for the provision of new, distinctive and valuable information to the CNSC through informed and topic-specific interventions
- to assist interested parties to review CNSC staff’s 2018 DNSR Report and submitting written comments to the Commission
A funding review committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator, and to make recommendations on the allocation of up to $25,000 for eligible applicants.
The FRC members were:
- Paul Scott, retired regional director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency’s Vancouver office
- Bruce Young, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
- Steve Burgess, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
The FRC reviewed the two PFP applications received by the CNSC, requesting a total of $13,216.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details on eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC has carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding in the matter of the 2018 DNSR Reportand has approved the reimbursement of up to $5,500 to the following recipients:
|Applicant||Maximum amount of available funding|
|Canadian Environmental Law Association||$5,000|
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: