Participant Funding Program Decision - BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc.’s Application to Renew its Class IB Fuel Facility Operating Licence
The CNSC announced on June 3, 2019, it was offering a total of $50,000 through its Participant Funding Program (PFP) to assist Indigenous peoples, members of the public and stakeholders in the review of the licence renewal application and Commission hearing process for the Class IB fuel facility operated by BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. (BWXT).
Participant funding was made available by the CNSC:
- for the provision of new, distinctive and valuable information to the CNSC through informed and topic-specific interventions
- to assist interested parties in the review of the licence renewal application and the Commission hearing process for BWXT’s Class IB fuel facility
A funding review committee (FRC), independent of the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator and to make recommendations on allocating up to $50,000 to eligible applicants.
The FRC members were:
- Paul Scott, retired regional director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, Vancouver office
- Steve Burgess, retired director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Bruce Young, retired director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
On September 9, 2019, the FRC met to review four PFP applications received by the CNSC totalling $66,284.50.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details about eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC has carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding for BWXT’s application to renew its Class IB fuel facility operating licence and has approved reimbursements of up to $37,001.10 for the following recipients:
|Applicant||Maximum amount of available funding|
|Citizens Against Radioactive Neighbourhoods||$16,000.00|
|Lake Ontario Waterkeeper||$13,450.00|
|Curve Lake First Nation||$4,901.10|
|Canadian Nuclear Workers Council||$2,650.00|
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: