Participant Funding Program decision – Regulatory Oversight Report for Canadian Nuclear Generating Sites: 2022; and the mid-term update on the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) is offering participant funding to assist Indigenous Nations and communities, members of the public and stakeholders in reviewing and in submitting comments in writing to the Commission on either or both of the following:
- CNSC staff’s Regulatory Oversight Report for Canadian Nuclear Power Generating Sites: 2022 (NPGS Report)
- Ontario Power Generation’s (OPG’s) mid-term update on the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station (PNGS)
Intervenors may ask to make an oral presentation to the Commission.
The CNSC made participant funding available:
- for the provision of new, distinctive and valuable information to the CNSC through informed and topic-specific interventions
- to assist interested parties in reviewing CNSC staff’s 2022 NPGS Report and/or OPG’s mid-term PNGS update and in submitting written comments on either or both documents to the Commission
A funding review committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator and to make recommendations on the allocation of up to $50,000 for eligible applicants.
The FRC members were:
- James Taylor, retired Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada Senior Advisor
- Kurt Saunders, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency Director.
On June 16, 2023, the FRC met to review the 6 PFP applications received by the CNSC, requesting a total of $131,450.50.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details on eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding and approved the reimbursement of up to $59,018.25 to the following recipients:
|Applicant||Maximum amount of available funding|
|Passamaquoddy Recognition Group Inc.||$18,890.25|
|Hiawatha First Nation||$12,485|
|Grand Conseil de la Nation Waban-Aki||$5,643|
|Nuclear Transparency Project||$5,000|
|Canadian Environmental Law Association||$5,000|
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: